Wednesday, June 1, 2011

School's Out For Summer!!

We wrapped up our first year of homeschooling last week. I was really hoping to go out with a bang, but life got the best of us and it sort of just fizzled out instead. We finished up science and bible study the previous week, and completed our study of the countries with a final "test" and I'm proud to say that Annabelle scored 100%! Alivia had a little bit harder time with it, but the way I see it, even if she can't recall the capital of each country or the continent they are in, her view of the world around her was still expanded. I am proud of her too for her efforts! Honestly, I couldn't remember them all myself either without a little bit of help!

As far as math goes, I feel like the girls need some more guidance and study in this subject. Neither one of them really enjoy it, and find it difficult to learn. And to top it off, Annabelle gets really upset when she can't do something perfectly so she'd just rather not do it at all. I have decided that we will take off the month of June, but I would really like to start working on this subject again in July. I am afraid that if they don't truly get the hang of it now while it is just simple, basic concepts, they will have an even more difficult time in the future. And since I'm the teacher I can do that!

We also wrapped our first year of co-op with our wonderful homeschool friends! What a blessing it has been to have them and be part of their circle! It is amazing what encouragement just spending a few hours with others who understand exactly what you are going through can bring. I don't think I could have survived this first year if it had not been for their support! On a sad note, our friends, Jenn and Evan will not be here with us next year. They moved to Kentucky shortly after our last play date. They will be missed more than words can say, but they will also be a true blessing to everyone they meet in their new home state!
Our amazing homeschool friends! The Scotts, the Dana's, the Romans and us!
Over all it has been a great year though. There were times when I truly questioned my sanity, but I am so thankful that I made this choice for myself and my children. I believe that it has brought us and them even closer.  I am already looking forward to what blessings are in store for us next year! I can hardly wait to get started!!

Happy Summer Friends! Thanks for traveling this amazing journey with us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment